POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : More height_field texturing : Re: More height_field texturing Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More height_field texturing
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 28 Jul 2001 02:49:54
Message: <3B626137.C600D2AC@pp.htv.fi>
Warp wrote:

>   If you use a bump_mapped box instead of a heightfield, what is the render
> speed difference and how does the image look like?

From this angle and light source position the bump_map looks quite
good and when applied to a low polycount mesh would look just as good
as the HF. I could propably use mesh with bump_map for most of the
wooden board objects. I had to use bump_size 1000 which is quite odd
since all the other times I have used bump_maps bump_size higher
than 10 didn't do any good.

http://www.pp.htv.fi/kkivisal/bump.jpg

HF:                  17 min, 15 MB
bump_map:             5 min,  5 MB
bump_map, normal_on: 38 min,  5 MB (takes less blue color from the sky)

+am2 +a0.5

global_settings{
  assumed_gamma 1.0
  ini_option "+qr"